Eligibility Criteria80 patients will be enrolled in this prospective cross-sectional study of 2 cohorts:(A) Intracranial atherosclerosis & (B) Intracranial aneurysms
Inclusion Criteria- (A) cohort: 60 intracranial atherosclerosis (stenosis less than 25%)
- recent ischemic stroke (less than or equal to 14 days)
- (B) cohort: 20 intracranial aneurysms patients participants:
- 10 asymptomatic
- 10 with recent intracranial aneurysm(s) rupture (less than or equal to 7 days).
Exclusion Criteria- Less than 18 years old
- Documented history of atrial fibrillation (for intracranial atherosclerosis cohort).
- Carotid stenosis greater than 70% (for intracranial atherosclerosis cohort).
- Pregnant women
- Contrast allergy
- Acute or chronic kidney disease with glomerular filtration rate<30 ml/min/1.73m2
- Intravenous iron sensitivity
- Serum ferritin and transferrin saturation above age-adjusted upper limit of normal. If serum ferritin is above normal, but transferrin saturation is normal, the patient is not excluded.
- Pacemaker or other MRI contraindications