Inclusion Criteria- Patients aged 18 years and over
- All patients with an acute anterior or posterior cerebral circulation stroke within 6 weeks of symptom onset.
Exclusion Criteria- Advanced dementia
- Previous history of dysphagia
- Patients judged to be clinically unstable
- Presence of implanted cardiac pacemaker or defibrillator
- Any severe chronic medical condition that compromises cardiac or respiratory status
- Patients with acute lower respiratory tract infections requiring antibiotic treatment.