Inclusion Criteria1. No prior history of stroke;
2. High risk (defined as a history of one or more stroke risk factor (HTN, diabetes, tobacco, abdominal obesity, heart disease, high cholesterol);
3. Over age 34 years at onset of intervention (we have selected this age cut off due to the large increase in stroke incidence among minority groups at age 34 );
4. Self-identified as Black or Hispanic; and
5. Member of a church congregation who lives in a household with a telephone.
Exclusion Criteria1. Participant is unable to give consent;
2. A modified Rankin score > 4 at baseline;
3. history of dementia; and
4. terminal illness, or other medical illness resulting in mortality < 1 year.