Inclusion Criteria- Signed and dated informed consent and HIPAA form. Participants with impaired capacity may be included provided a Legally Authorized Representative as recognized by the the State of Kentucky, signs the informed consent.
- Willingness to comply with all study procedures and availability for the duration of the study.
- Male or female, aged 18 years or older
- Suspected acute ischemic stroke based on clinical and radiographic evidence as determined and documented by the Stroke Neurology team at University of Kentucky.
- Participants must meet criteria for intra-arterial thrombectomy as determined and documented by Interventional Neuroradiology attending physician at University of Kentucky.
- Participants must have an acute thromboembolus within an intracranial artery in the anterior circulation (internal carotid, anterior cerebral, middle cerebral), which undergoes mechanical thrombectomy.
- Participant must have a TICI 2B or better revascularization via thrombectomy.
- For females of reproductive potential a negative pregnancy test at baseline is required. .
Exclusion Criteria- Pregnant/lactating women
- Therapeutic anticoagulation prior to admission as it is a relative contraindication to thrombectomy
- Participants who undergo intra-arterial thrombectomy for acute stroke, in whom only TICI 0-2A revascularization is obtained.
- Known allergic reactions to components of Verapamil or Citicoline.
- Verapamil should not be given to individuals who have a serious heart condition such as:
- sick sinus syndrome or AV block
- severe heart failure;
- fainting do to slow heartbeats
- certain heart rhythm disorders of the atrium (excluding atrial fibrillation)
- active congestive heart failure;
- low blood pressure;
- a nerve-muscle disorder such as myasthenia gravis or muscular dystrophy.