Inclusion Criteria1. Hemorrhagic and ischemic stroke documented clinically and by neuroimaging.
2. Admission to the Stroke Rehabilitation Service of the Burke Rehabilitation Hospital within 4 weeks of the acute neurological insult.
3. Informed consent, from patient or other responsible person according to Burke IRB standards.
4. Stable medical condition, including cardiac status.
5. Patient able to take diet and medication either orally or via the PEG tube.
Exclusion Criteria1. Patients with prior documented history of alcohol abuse, renal and liver diseases, and malabsorption.
2. Patients medically unstable.
3. Patient’s terminal ill (e.g., patients with stroke as a complication of a terminal cancer).
4. Patients participating in any other structured therapeutic trial in the acute care hospital or at Burke.