Inclusion Criteria- Patients older than 18 years acute ischemic stroke (less than 12 hours from stroke onset).
- Stroke involving MCA-ACA-PCA.
- NIHSS score 4 to 22.
- Previous modified Rankin Scale score of 1 or 0.
- Patient or proxy informed consent.
- Patients not taking statins for the past six months.
Exclusion Criteria- Pregnancy or breastfeeding.
- Clinical or radiological evidence on admission of intracranial hemorrhage, hemorrhagic infarction or tumor.
- Seizures at the time of inclusion.
- Complete or substantial recovery prior to randomization.
- Patients with ipsilateral neurological deficit that may mask the evaluation of the current event.
- Liver disease (AST or ALT more than twice upper normality limit).
- Cardiogenic shock or relevant cardiac failure.
- Patients with more than five times upper normality limit of CPK.
- Myocardial infarction or any other thromboembolic event within the previous 30 days.
- Active infection by the time of inclusion.
- Documented hypersensibility to statins.
- Drug abuse.
- Expected short life-expectancy related to other systemic diseases.