Inclusion Criteria- Male and female Veterans of all ethnicities admitted to MEDVAMC with a new suspected ischemic or hemorrhagic stroke will be eligible to participate.
- Individuals with a history of prior strokes without dysphagia will be eligible to participate.
- Patients must be medically stable as determined by the attending neurologist.
- Participants with language or cognitive deficits who are judged by the attending neurologist to not have capacity to provide informed consent will be eligible to participate but they must have an authorized representative available within 24 hours of admission to provide consent.
Exclusion Criteria- Individuals with a history of neurological disease other than stroke, head and neck structural surgery, or history of dysphagia unrelated to the current stroke will be excluded from participation.
- Individuals who are obtunded (unable to maintain wakefulness), currently diagnosed with pneumonia, or on ventilator support will be excluded.
- Veterans who are more than 72 hours past MEDVAMC admission will be excluded.