Inclusion CriteriaPatient eligibility criteria include:
- age 18 or older;
- acute diagnosis of ischemic stroke or TIA within past 12 months;
- able to speak and understand English;
- no severe cognitive impairment;
- access to a telephone;
- willing to follow-up in VA/IU Health outpatient care;
- had a previous outpatient primary care visit during the past 12 months in VA/IU Health outpatient care;
- willing to attend all individual phone and group meetings during the 6 month intervention; and
- life expectancy of at least 6 months as defined by the patient's neurologist at stroke event.
Exclusion Criteria- Short Portable Mental Status score < 7;
- Significant language comprehension (NIH Stroke Scale commands score > 0); or
- Receptive language deficits (NIH Stroke Scale aphasia score > 2).