Eligibility CriteriaAdult patients within 1-10 days ischaemic stroke of moderate severity (NIHSS 6-20)
Inclusion Criteria1. Age 35 years old and above.
2. Subject will be included within the time frame of 1-10 days after the first onset of acute cerebral ischaemic stroke with NIHSS between 6 - 20.
3. Subject is neurologically stable after stroke onset, i.e. no fluctuation in clinical conditions.
4. Subject has a modified Rankin Scale from 2-4.
5. Subject has a clinical stroke diagnosis according to WHO stroke diagnosis.
6. Subject is willing to attend at least four sessions of physiotherapy during the study or as deemed needed by the physiotherapist
7. Subjects or his/her legally acceptable representative is willing to provide written informed consent.
Exclusion Criteria1. Subject has evidence of intra-cerebral hemorrhage on brain CT scan or MRI
2. Recurrent stroke or previous hospitalisation due to suspected cerebrovascular event.
3. Severe stroke as assessed clinically and/or by appropriate imaging techniques
4. Subject has other significant non-ischemic brain lesion(s) which could affect function or disability.
5. Time of ischemic stroke onset not exactly known
6. Subject has documented underlying medical conditions which may affect assessment or follow-up such as (but not limited to) terminal cancer, liver cirrhosis, severe dementia or psychosis, connective tissue disease, rheumatoid arthritis, severe heart disease, severe liver disease or renal failure (based on recent medical history)
7. Subject has active systemic infection such as (but not limited to) hepatitis and pneumonia
8. Subject has definite indication for full dose or long term anti-coagulation therapy (such as warfarin)
9. Any condition that in the judgment of the investigator would place the patient under undue risk
10. Traumatic brain injury within the previous 30 days.
11. Symptoms which are rapidly improving (as in transient ischemic stroke)
12. The patient is pregnant, breast feeding or female of childbearing potential (unless the subject is willing to practice on double contraception measures for the study duration) until up to 1 month (30 days) after last treatment dose.
13. Patients who have been included in any other clinical trial within the previous three months.