Inclusion Criteria- Participant Inclusion Criteria
Participants must satisfy the following inclusion criteria to be considered eligible for entry into this study:
1. Participants must have sustained an acute ischemic left hemisphere stroke.
2. Participants must be fluent speakers of English by self-report.
3. Participants must be capable of giving informed consent or indicating another to provide informed consent.
4. Participants must be age 18 or older.
5. Participants must be premorbidly right handed.
6. Participants must be within 3 months of onset of stroke.
7. Participants must have an aphasia diagnosis as confirmed by the Western Aphasia Battery-Revised.
8. Participants must achieve at least 65% accuracy on screening task (comparable to treatment task) on 1 of 2 attempts
Exclusion Criteria- Participant Exclusion Criteria
Participants with any of the following characteristics will not be eligible for entry into this study:
1. Previous neurological or psychiatric disease, including previous symptomatic stroke.
2. Seizures during the previous 12 months.
3. Uncorrected visual loss or hearing loss by self-report.
4. Use of medications that lower the seizure threshold (e.g., methylphenidate, amphetamine salts).
5. Use of NMDA antagonists (e.g., memantine).
6. > 80% correct responses, averaged across two sessions, on the PNT at baseline.
7. < 3% correct responses, average across two sessions, on the PNT at baseline.
8. History of brain surgery or any metal in the head.
9. Scalp sensitivity (per participant report).