Eligibility CriteriaInclusion Criteria
- Patients (age 18 - 65 yr) in which the admitting neurosurgeon has confirmatory evidence of an aneurysm, either by CT angiography, MR angiography or DSA.
- Any clinical grade accepted provided a reasonable prospect of survival.
- Delay to randomisation and initiation of trial medication from the time of the presenting ictus does not exceed 96 hours.
- Unsalvageable patients:Fixed and dilated pupils after resuscitation, and/or a devastating scan, which precludes definitive therapy.
- Already taking statin therapy.
- Those taking Warfarin - type drugs.
- Known renal or hepatic impairment
- Suspected or known additional disease process, which threatens life expectancy (e.g.malignancy).
- Known or strong suspicion of drug abuse, alcoholism, or those who are unlikely to be amenable to 6 month follow up.
- Those already taking amiodarone, verapamil or potent CYP3A4 inhibitors.