Inclusion Criteria- Having sustained a single ischemic or hemorrhagic stroke during the 3- to 12-month period preceding enrollment
- Single stroke
- Inability at the time of screening to demonstrate active extension of the affected metacarpophalangeal and interphalangeal joints at least 10°; and the wrist, 20° (ie, level of impairment that would preclude participation in constraint-induced therapy)
- Score of 47 or lower on the modified 30-item Fugl-Meyer Assessment of UE motor function
- Participants NOT able to extend the affected metacarpophalangeal joints at least 10° and the wrist 20°.
Exclusion Criteria- History of carpal tunnel syndrome and conditions that commonly cause peripheral neuropathy, including diabetes, uremia, or associated nutritional deficiencies
- History of head injury with loss of consciousness, severe alcohol or drug abuse, psychiatric illness
- Within 3 months of recruitment, use of drugs known to exert detrimental effects on motor recovery
- Cognitive deficit severe enough to preclude informed consent
- Positive pregnancy test or being of childbearing age and not using appropriate contraception
- Participants with history of untreated depression.