Eligibility CriteriaInclusion criteria:
- Be either in-patients on Colchester Stroke Unit or,
- Out-patients following an acute stroke admission to Colchester Stroke Unit
- Be adults who have suffered a stroke between 3 and 84 days before recruitment
- Have an anterior circulation stroke - i.e. must have weakness not ataxia
- Have a substantially paretic hand and fingers and meet the criteria for the SaeboFlex orthosis as below
- Have a previously fully functional upper limb (i.e. previous weakness, severe movement disorders, severe Rheumatoid Arthritis )
- Be able to participate in self directed therapy (i.e. no severe visual or cognitive deficits precluding participation task repetitive practice and recording training times)
- Are medically fit to participate in repetitive task practice as determined by the consultant (or GP if out-patient).
Saebo Flex requirements (inclusion criteria)
Subjects must have:
- A minimum of 15 degrees passive wrist extension (fingers must be extended)
- At least 15 degrees active shoulder motion in any plane
- At least 15 degrees elbow flexion
- At least ¼ range of active finger flexion (IP) flexion
- Patients that are able to open and close his/her hand completely, 10 times keeping the wrist neutral while maintaining his / her maximum shoulder flexion are too good for the Saebo-flex. Other treatment options should be considered.
- Severe joint deformities that could be worsened by using an orthosis, i.e. RA
- Those patients with extremely poor skin integrity which may be cause irritation or skin damage.
- We will not exclude stroke survivors on the basis of age or gender but subjects will need to be motivated for self-directed study.