Inclusion Criteria- Ability to provide written informed consent (or a LAR available to provide informed consent) and comply with study assessments for the full duration of the study.
- Age 18-80 years
- Patients to be included will be diagnosed as having an acute ischemic stroke by history and physical exam and receive IV tPA within 4.5 hours of symptom onset according to current guidelines for acute stroke care.
- NIHSS at presentation <10
- Patients do not have ICU needs in the judgment of the treating ED physician or neurologist by the end of the tPA infusion
- NIHSS at the end of tPA infusion <10
Exclusion Criteria- For patients receiving IV tPA according to the current standard of care, the following exclusion criteria apply:
- Age <17 or >80
- ICU need or indication by the end of the tPA infusion
- NIHSS >9 at presentation or at the end of the tPA infusion
- Indication/need for endovascular recanalization therapy