Eligibility CriteriaFor more information regarding BMS clinical trial participation, please visit www.BMSStudyConnect.com
Inclusion Criteria- Male or female, age 18 or older
- Must have had a very recent stroke or transient ischemic attack ("mini stroke") that can be confirmed by the study doctor
- Able to be assigned to a study group no later than 48 hours after the stroke occurred
- Has an image of the brain that confirms that the stroke was not caused by hemorrhage or other reason that could explain symptoms
Exclusion Criteria- A suspicion by the study doctor that the transient ischemic attack or stroke was caused by a blood clot that formed in the heart; examples of this include history of an abnormal heart rhythm known as atrial fibrillation or a ventricular aneurysm or defect of the heart.
- Any condition requiring treatment with an anticoagulant
- History of intracranial hemorrhage ("bleeding in the brain")
- Gastrointestinal ("stomach or intestinal") bleeding in the last 3 months that required treatment
- Planned or anticipated invasive surgery or procedure during the study
- Unable to tolerate MRI procedures.