Inclusion Criteria1. Aged > 18 years
2. Confirmed diagnosis of stroke
3. Randomisation by seven days
4. Upper limb impairment, defined as a measurable upper limb impairment on the NIHSS and a baseline upper limb FuglMeyer score of <50 at randomisation
5. Able to comply with the requirements of the protocol
Exclusion Criteria1. Other significant upper limb impairment e.g. fixed contracture, fracture, frozen shoulder, severe arthritis, amputation.
2. Diagnosis likely to interfere with rehabilitation or outcome assessments such as registered blind or terminal illness.
3. Participation in other stroke rehabilitation trial.