Inclusion Criteria- Ischemic or hemorrhagic stroke onset 3 - 9 weeks before the recruiting, confirmed by computed tomography or magnetic resonance imaging.
- Moderate to severe motor impairment of an upper limb, defined as a score between 7 - 42 on the Upper Limb Subscale of Fugl Meyer Assessment of Sensorimotor Recovery after stroke.
- Ability to provide written informed consent (patient ou legal representative)
- Ability to comply with the schedule of interventions and evaluations in the protocol.
Exclusion Criteria- Severe spasticity at the paretic elbow, wrist or fingers, defined as a score of > 3 on the Modified Ashworth Spasticity Scale.
- Upper limb plegia
- Uncontrolled medical problems such as end-stage cancer or renal disease
- Seizures, except for a single seizure during the first week post stroke
- Other neurological disorders such as Parkinson's disease
- Psychiatric illness including severe depression
- Aphasia ou severe cognitive deficits that compromise comprehension of the experimental protocol or ability to provide consent.
- Drugs that interfere on cortical excitability, except for antidepressants
- Cerebellar lesions