Inclusion CriteriaSubjects will be included in the study on the basis of the following criteria:
- They must be at least six months post-stroke.
- 18 years of age or older with a clinical diagnosis of hemiparesis (as verified by medical record and a medical expert).
- They have voluntary control with a low to medium range of motion function (UE-FT<5) and a muscle tone.
- They are functionally stable (no significant changes in motor function over a week) and are able to tolerate being seated upright for 90 minutes.
- They report no excessive pain the impaired arm.
- If left neglect or spasticity is detected in the impaired arm, these levels must not interfere with the ability to cognitively complete the tasks or turn a wheel.
- They must not be participating in any experimental rehabilitation or drug therapies.
- If subjects are receiving chemical injections for spasticity, they must be at least 3-months away from their last treatment.
- They must have driven prior to stroke.
- They are not clinically depressed (as measured by the Geriatric Depression Scale (GDS) short form (Sheikh and Yesavage, 1986).
Exclusion Criteria- Subjects will be excluded from the study if they voluntarily decide to withdraw from the study or if they do not meet the above inclusion criteria.
Once informed consent is given twenty-four of these subjects will be randomized into two training groups (fun driving: fun and functional driving activities and rote tracking (12 subjects): rote and functional tracking activities). Two subjects will be randomized the case study group. The groups will be matched in initial motor function.
Subjects will be excluded if they voluntarily decide to withdraw from the study or if they do not meet the above inclusion criteria.