The investigators propose an evaluation that will assess three important components of risk communication:
1. provide patients with personalized risk communication using the risk calculator developed by FIMDM and health information taken from the Living with Coronary Artery Disease program
2. provide personalized tailored patient feedback to help initiate and maintain specific cardiovascular CVD-related behaviors(e.g., medication adherence, exercise, diet, smoking cessation) to reduce their risks.
3. evaluate how this feedback can be incorporated into clinical care by examining 3 month patient outcome and provider responses to the risk information.
Patients at high risk for CVD events frequently underestimate their risk. Programs to improve CVD outcomes have largely focused on single risk factors and do not contextualize the information with a patient's global risk. An easy, accessible strategy to address global CVD risk based on personalized risk communication feedback with assistance with initiating and maintaining health behaviors has several advantages, but has not formally been tested. A patient's perceived risk of stroke or heart attack is an important factor in understanding motivation for risk reducing behaviors. Lower perceived risk has been associated with poorer adherence to recommended health behaviors. Additionally, a person's beliefs about his or her risk for a disease increased the likelihood of a more informed and activated patient, and figures prominently in models of health behavior (e.g., Health Belief Model). People tend to underestimate their own risk; Therefore providing accurate risk communication has the potential to activate patients to initiate and maintain behavior changes.
- Web-Based Intervention Behavioral
Other Names: Health Dialog Cardiac Risk Calculator Intervention Desc: Health Dialog Cardiac Risk Calculator Health Dialog's Living with Coronary Heart Disease Tailored intervention including health behavior modules such as smoking cessation, exercise, diet, and weight ARM 1: Kind: Experimental Label: Web-based Intervention Description: Given current risk assessment for CVD based on Health Dialog Cardiac Risk Calculator, recommendations for behavior change, and Health Dialog's Living with Coronary Heart Disease. Can change initial patient risk information provided by the Risk Calculator during the initial visit, noting what they are will work on during the study. Sent monthly email reminders to log onto the system to choose that months' behavioral modules. Given a choice of at least 2 health behavior modules per month (smoking cessation, exercise, diet, and weight) to improve their CVD risk. Information on risk, CVD knowledge, medication management and side effects will be provided to all participants. It will also provide tailored information to help the individual initiate and maintain these behaviors.
- Allocation: Randomized
- Masking: Open Label
- Purpose: Health Services Research
- Endpoint: Efficacy Study
- Intervention: Parallel Assignment
|Type||Measure||Time Frame||Safety Issue|
|Primary||Cardiovascular Disease (CVD) Risk Knowledge Assessment||Baseline and 3 month @ study end||No|
- Duke University Lead