Inclusion Criteria- 4-7 weeks since stroke onset; unable to walk independently due to lower extremity paresis
- Functional Ambulation Categories (FAC) score 0-1
- Able to sit on a bench with/without supervision at least five minutes
- Sufficient postural control to allow upright position in standing with aids and/or manual support
- Ability to understand training instructions as well as written and oral study information and to express informed consent or by proxy
- Body size compatible with the HAL suit.
Exclusion Criteria- Contracture restricting gait movements at any lower limb joint
- Cardiovascular or other somatic condition incompatible with intensive gait training
- Severe, contagious infections (e.g. Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) or Extended Spectrum Beta Lactamase bacteria).