Inclusion Criteria- 18 years and over;
- newly admitted inpatient of the rehabilitation ward;
- diagnosis of CVA in the last three months resulting in upper limb motor loss;
- able to follow two part spoken or written commands in the English language;
- upper limb therapy designated as a main portion of goal directed treatment programme;
- consent to take part in the study.
Exclusion Criteria- patients who have had a previous CVA
- patients who have gross cognitive impairment
- patients who are unable to understand two part spoken/ written commands in English.