Inclusion Criteria- Patients having a stroke (ischemic and haemorrhagic) showing (one) subsequent seizure 14 days up to 3 years after stroke
- Patients has signed the informed consent form
- Aged ≥ 18 years
Exclusion Criteria- Severe stroke patients with Rankin scale > 3
- Patients with a life expectancy of < 12 months
- Patients screened more than 15 days after first seizure
- Patients with a diagnosed epilepsy
- Patients with clear evidence of myoclonic seizures
- Patients with contraindication to levetiracetam and carbamazepine use
- Patients presenting epileptic status at onset
- Patients having a MMSE <24
- Patients having a seizure before stroke
- Patients taking any AED 4 weeks prior to randomisation in the study
- Patients showing dysphagia after stroke not able to swallow tablets.
- Patients with a low compliance for the study
- Pregnant women, lactating or sexually active women with childbearing potential who are not using a medically accepted birth control method.
- Allergy or intolerance to pyrrolidine derivatives and/or tablet excipients or to carbamazepine derivates and /or tablet excipients
- Patients involved in another clinical trial 30 days prior randomization
- Patients with any tumour
- Patients with previous traumatic brain accident resulting in impairment of consciousness.
- Patients for whom it is not possible to assess seizure onset