Inclusion Criteria1. Sudden onset of focal neurologic deficit or impairment of consciousness.
2. CT or MRI scan of head showing no haematoma and relevant lesions within the MCA and ACA territory.
3. Age between 30 -70 years (after amendment 18 -70 years).
4. >7 to =30 days passed since the onset of the qualifying event.
5. Glasgow Coma Scale score of >8 at the time of randomization, in aphasic Eye and Motor score of >6.
6. Modified Barthel Index score of 50 or less at the time of randomization.
7. NHISS score of 7 or more points and inability to walk unaided or raise upper limb by 90 degree.
8. Patient is stable. ( normal respiration, afebrile, BP less than mean arterial pressure of 125 mm of Hg, fasting blood sugar < 200 mg% and normal urea/electrolytes for at least 48 hours.)
Exclusion Criteria: -
1. Lacunar syndrome
3. Posterior circulation stroke
4. Co morbidity likely to limit survival to less than 3 years eg. Hepatic or renal failure.
5. Inaccessibility for follow up.
6. Allergy to local anaesthetic.
7. Unwillingness to provide written informed consent.
8. Symptom of acute myocardial infarction or acute involvement of any other organ.
9. Pregnancy 10. HIV positive 11. Patient is a part of any other trial in last 6 months.