Inclusion Criteria- Acute ischemic stroke patients within 7 days of symptom onset
- Symptomatic intracranial artery stenosis (above 30%) at proximal portion of middle cerebral artery (MCA), basilar artery, or intracranial portion of intracranial artery (ICA).
- Not receiving statins (HMA-coA reductase)
- Willing and able to comply with scheduled visits, lifestyle guidelines, treatment plan, laboratory tests, and other study procedures.
Exclusion Criteria- Extracranial artery (carotid artery bifurcation, proximal vertebral artery) stenosis above 50%
- Stroke attributable to cardioembolic origin (atrial fibrillation, valvular heart disease, aortic arch atherosclerosis)
- Severe hepatic or renal dysfunction
- Pregnant females as determined by positive urine hCG test or lactating females
- Subjects considered unwilling or unable to comply with the imaging procedures and study visit schedule