Inclusion Criteria- Patients receiving rehabilitation for their first episode of stroke which resulted in hemiplegia
- Able to give informed consent to take part in the study.
- Currently receiving physiotherapy for the re-education of gait (at minimum is able to stand, weight bear and take one step with assistance of one person).
Exclusion Criteria- Patients with a history of:
- any other neurological conditions including previous stroke
- any pre-stroke musculoskeletal condition that either: i. limited walking to less than 100 metres and/or ii. resulted in a noticeable gait abnormality and/or iii. required use of a bilateral walking aid (e.g. 2 walking sticks or a walking frame)
- Patients with marked receptive dysphasia (not able to follow 3-stage commands) - confirmed through liaison with multi-disciplinary team, including Speech and Language Therapists where necessary