Eligibility CriteriaInclusion criteria:
1) Patients newly diagnosed with non-valvular atrial fibrillation (NVAF) at risk for stroke.
Further inclusion criteria apply
1. Presence of any mechanical heart valve, or valve disease that is expected to require valve replacement intervention;
2. Patients who have received more than 60 days of vitamin K antagonist (VKA) treatment in their lifetime;
3. AF with a generally reversible cause;
4. Patients with a medical condition other than atrial fibrillation for which chronic use of an oral anticoagulant (for example, a VKA) is indicated.
Further exclusion criteria apply