Inclusion Criteria- 21 years or older in age since safety of non-invasive cortical stimulation in children.
- Between 25 hours (day 2) to 144 (day 6) hours since stroke onset.
- Unilateral hemispheric infarction (cortical or subcortical infarction) documented by imaging.
- Moderate to severe dysphagia with a score of 4 or more on PAS
Exclusion Criteria- Prior history of swallowing difficulties.
- Drowsiness or marked cognitive impairment that interferes with participation in swallowing maneuvers.
- Unable to undergo an MRI due to claustrophobia or presence of electrically, magnetically or mechanically activated implant (including cardiac pacemaker), intracerebral vascular clips or any other electrically sensitive support system, metal in any part of the body, including metallic injury to eye, or pregnancy).
- History of seizures or unexplained episodes of loss of consciousness.