Inclusion Criteria- verified stroke requiring hospital admission (based on clinical and radiological evidence)
- ability to walk a minimum of 10 meters independently, using an aid or orthotic, with or without supervision,
- less than one year since the last cerebrovascular event at the time of recruitment,
- discharge from active rehabilitation (usually around 3 to 4 months post-stroke but not less than 1 month) into the geographic study area of greater Montreal and greater Halifax.
Exclusion Criteria- severe cognitive deficits as evaluated by the Telephone Version of the Mini-Mental State Examination such that the subject does not understand their participation in the study,
- receptive aphasia as evaluated by the Canadian Neurological Scale48 or the treating speech therapist,
- illness or disability precluding participation in either rehabilitation intervention.
- failure to pass a standard cardiology orientated history and physical examination complemented by a baseline screening exercise stress test