Inclusion Criteria- Diagnosis of at least one ischemic stroke confirmed by the study neurologist on the basis of history, medical records, and head imaging by CT or MRI;
- At least 18 years old by the time of enrolment in the study;
- At least one full sibling or parent alive in areas nearby;
- Written informed consent by the patient or surrogate.
Exclusion Criteria- Diagnosis of Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA) only;
- Diagnosis of vasospasm after subarachnoid hemorrhage;
- Diagnosis of some Mendelian disorders: CADASIL, Fabry disease, MELAS, or sickle cell anaemia;
- Diagnosis of iatrogenic ischemic stroke associated with a surgical / interventional procedure such as coronary artery bypass grafting, carotid endarterectomy, or heart valve surgery;
- Diagnosis of ischemic stroke associated with autoimmune condition or endocarditis.