- patients with ischemic stroke or non-traumatic intracerebral hemorrhage, with residual deficit origin;
- age 45 or older
- stroke severity (3-8 on the NIH stroke severity scale); and
- able to participate in the intervention (due to, for example, ability to communicate or level of social connectedness).
- patients living outside the greater Boston area;
- admitted from a nursing home;
- terminally ill;
- severely aphasic;
- significantly cognitively impaired;
- unable to speak English; and
- under 45 years of age.