Inclusion Criteria1. men or women with diagnosis of an aphasia subsequent to a left-hemisphere infarct(s) that is confirmed by CT scan or MRI
2. an Aphasia Quotient score on the Western Aphasia Battery of 50-85.
3. 6 months post injury
4. premorbidly right handed, determined by Edinburgh Handedness Inventory
5. completed at least an eighth grade education
6. premorbidly literate in English
7. visual acuity may be corrected but must be sufficient for reading visual stimuli on computer screen
8. auditory acuity may be aided but must be sufficient for hearing auditory stimuli in ORLA program
Exclusion Criteria1. any other neurological condition (other than cerebral vascular disease) that could potentially affect cognition or speech, such as Parkinson's Disease, Alzheimer's Dementia, traumatic brain injury.
2. any significant psychiatric history prior to the stroke, such as severe major depression or psychotic disorder requiring hospitalization; subjects with mood disorders who are currently stable on treatment will be considered.
3. active substance abuse.