Inclusion Criteria- diagnosed with cerebral hemorrhage or infarction examined by computed tomography (CT) magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) at least 2 weeks or more ago;
- complaining hemiplegic shoulder pain of VAS ≥4;
- agreeing that any treatments, including analgesics, for hemiplegic shoulder pain will not be changed from the previous 2 weeks prior to the enrollment until the last evaluation, if applicable;
- fully explained about the clinical research and sign the informed consents.
Exclusion Criteria- disorders, traumatic injury, or surgery of shoulders even before their stroke;
- pacemakers, embedded neural stimulator, cardiac arrhythmia, epilepsy, peripheral neural injury on their medical history;
- psychiatric disorders;
- cancer within the past 5 years, regardless of its prognosis and location;
- cognitive impairment that interferes with clinical assessment;
- hypersensitivity or fears to acupuncture;
- bleeding disorders (e.g. hemophilia or von Willebrand disease, etc.),
- difficulty in communicating with researchers, or
- any other conditions who are considered inappropriate for participating in the trial by experienced practitioners.