Eligibility CriteriaInclusion criteria:
- age > 35 years,
- MRI or CAT scan proof of stroke or definitive hemiplegia, and
- competency to sign an informed consent form.
- presence of subarachnoid hemorrhage, transient ischemic attack or subdural hematoma,
- significant medical disorder severe enough to require hospitalization within the 3 months prior to stroke,
- functional psychosis,
- absence of a caregiver (anyone living within a 30 minute drive who is available and willing to attend to patient),
- admitted from nursing home (since these patients are likely to return to the nursing home) and
- inability to speak English.