Inclusion Criteria- The patient has suffered a stroke, as defined by the World Health Organisation (WHO) criteria, at least 6 months previously.
- The patient has a hemiparetic arm and meets minimum score requirements on the Modified Ashworth Scale.
- The patient has the cognitive and communication ability to participate in the study.
Exclusion Criteria- Patients who have received botulinum toxin treatment within the past 120 days.
- Contraindication to botulinum toxin treatment.
- Patients who are receiving oral anti-spasticity medication and who have had a change in dosage of this medication in the month prior to study entry.
- Patients who have previously been treated with phenol for their upper limb spasticity.