Inclusion Criteria- • Patients with a first stroke with NIHSS 5-20 points
- Patients without aphasia to avoid interference in the assessment of depression and cognitive impairment
- Patients with independent functional status prior to stroke (mRS <3)
- Patients without prior cognitive impairment or depressive syndrome assessed by medical history with the patient and family.
- The assigned treatment initiated within the first five days of stroke
Exclusion Criteria- • Patients with prior myocardial or cerebral hemorrhage
- Patients with TIA
- Patients with aphasia
- History of cognitive impairment or prior depressive syndrome
- Patients with no independent functional status mRS greater than or equal to 3
- Underlying disease hopefully less than one year of life.
- Patient pre-treatment with levodopa, an antidepressant or neuroleptic.