Inclusion Criteria1. Age 50 years and older;
2. Diagnosis of unipolar major depression;
3. Montgomery Asberg Depression Rating Scale score ≥ 18;
4. Capacity to provide written consent for both research assessment and treatment;
5. Command of English sufficient to participate in assessments and talking therapy.
Exclusion Criteria1. Moderately severe to severe dementia (MMSE score < 20);
2. Greater than mild to moderate aphasia (NIH Stroke Scale: Best Language > 1);
3. Expectation to be discharged to a nursing home;
4. Psychotic depression;
5. Suicidal intent or plan.