Inclusion Criteria- A first-ever unilateral stroke onset at least 6 months previously
- Demonstration of Brunnstrom stage > III for the proximal part of UE
- Considerable nonuse of the more affected upper extremity (MAL amount of use score < 2.5);5
- No balance problems sufficient to compromise safety when wearing the constraint mitt
- Willing to provide written informed consent.
Exclusion Criteria- To avoid the confounding effects of cognitive and medical conditions, potential subjects will be excluded if the medical or physical screening exam reveals a score of less than 24 on the Mini Mental State Exam
- 32 physician-determined major medical problems or poor physical conditions that would interfere with participation
- Excessive pain in any joint that might limit participation.