Inclusion Criteria1. Acute (0-14 days) and subacute (14 days - 6 months) ischemic stroke
2. Neurologic status permits participation.
3. Medical status permits participation.
Exclusion Criteria1. Dysphagia secondary to something other than stroke.
2. Refuses consent.
3. Incapable of informed consent and has no representative.
4. Multiple strokes and previous history of dysphagia secondary to stroke.
5. Longer than 6 months post-stroke
6. Known cardiac valve thrombosis
7. Stroke etiology of dissection
8. Unstable / evolving stroke lesion.
9. History of cancer in the head or neck
10. History of radiation to the head or neck
11. History of degenerative disease