Inclusion Criteria- Ischemic or hemorrhagic stroke greater than 3 months prior
- Residual hemiparetic gait with observable asymmetry in the gait pattern.
- Women or men aged 21 to 85 years
- Completed all conventional physical therapy.
- Adequate language and neurocognitive function to participate in training, testing, and to give informed consent.
- Minimal ankle flexion in either direction (dorsi- or plantar-)
Exclusion Criteria- MMSE score < 23 (9th grade education or more) or MMSE score < 17 (8th grade education or less)
- CES-D score > 16
- Clinical history of orthopedic, chronic pain or severe neuromuscular disorders restricting participation in a short term ankle movement training paradigm.
- Severe or global receptive aphasia which confounds reliable testing and training.
- Women of child-bearing potential, if there is any self-reported chance that they may be pregnant.