Inclusion Criteria- Severe stroke occurred in 72 hours.
- GCS ≤12 or NIHSS≥11.
- Systolic blood pressure ≥ 150 mmHg or diastolic blood pressure ≥ 100 mmHg on admission.
- Able to be 'actively' treated and admitted to a monitored facility.
- Informed consent.
Exclusion Criteria- Received intravenous thrombolytic therapy.
- Concurrent severe heart failure.
- Concurrent acute myocardial infarction.
- Concurrent unstable angina.
- Concurrent severe systemic diseases.
- Other serious or life-threatening disease before the stroke.
- Clear indication, in the clinician's view, for antihypertensive therapy during the acute phase of stroke (i.e. multiple cerebral artery stenosis, apparent cerebrovascular malformation or aortic dissection, or other situations).
- Patient unavailable for follow-up (e.g. no fixed address).