Inclusion Criteria- Patients with atrial fibrillation who has been receiving chronic anticoagulation for at least 3 months.
Exclusion Criteria- Contraindications to colchicine such as allergy/hypersensitivity,
- Receiving colchicine or other anti-inflammatory drugs (such as corticosteroids, methotrexate, anti-neoplastic, Interleukin 1-1b antagonist, Tumor necrosis factor-alpha inhibitor),
- Receiving food or co-medications such as strong-moderate cytochrome P450 3A4 inhibitors that will result in elevated plasma level of colchicine,
- Inflammatory disorders (SLE, Rheumatoid arthritis, connective tissue disorder) or chronic infection,
- Severe renal (eGFR< 30ml/min/1.73m2), or liver failure or liver aminotransferase (ALT/AST > 2x Upper limit of normal),
- Moderate or severe cytopenias (platelet < 100, neutrophil count < 1.5) or existing blood dyscrasia (e.g., myelodysplasia)
- Pregnant or lactating woman or woman of child bearing age no protected by reliable contraception.