Inclusion CriteriaPatients must have a documented history of at least one of the following:
- Hypertension (defined as systolic blood pressure 140 mmHg or a diastolic blood pressure 90 mmHg (defined as the disapperance of all sound [Korotkoff Phase V] or receiving anti-hypertensive treatment. Blood pressure should be measured after sitting the patient quietly for 3 minutes).
- Retinopathy (defined as any of the following; non-proliferative retinopathy, pre-pre-proliferative retinopathy, proliferative retinopathy, maculopathy, advanced diabetic eye disease or history of photocoagulation).
- Microalbuminuria (defined as either, Albumin creatinine ratio > than = to 2.5 mg/mmol, or Albumin excretion rate on a timed collection > than = to 20 mcg/min (> than = to 30 mg/24hrs) on two successive occasions, or a positive micral or other strip test).
- Macroalbuminuria (defined as either; Albustix or other dipstick evidence of gross proteinuria, Albumin creatinine ratio > than = to 25 mg/mmol; or Albumin excretion rate on a timed collection > than = 200 mcg/min (> than = 300 mg/24hrs) on two sucessive occasions).
- Current smoker
Exclusion Criteria- Type I Diabetes Mellitus
- Any major Coronary event prior to entry into the study