Inclusion Criteria1. men or women aged 35 to 80 years old;
2. diagnosed as ischemic or haemorrhagic stroke within 18 months, confirmed with cerebral computed topographic scanning or magnetic resonance imaging; and
3. developed significant depressive episode, with score of 16 or greater in the 17-item Hamilton Rating Scale for Depression (HAMD-17) and depression has lasted at least 2 weeks.
Exclusion Criteria1. presence of severe aphasia, especially fluent aphasia;
2. presence of severe cognitive dysfunction, as indicated by the Mini-mental State Examination (MMSE) score < 18;
3. history of psychiatric illness other than depression;
4. presence of another chronic disorder, including severe Parkinson's disease, cardiac disease, cancers, epilepsy, or chronic alcoholism;
5. having impaired hepatic or renal function; or (6) having bleeding tendency.