Inclusion Criteria- Veterans 18 years or older hospitalized with stroke or Transient Ischemic Attack at Indianapolis Veterans Administration Medical Center and Houston Veteran Administration Medical Center;
- willing to participate;
- access to telephone;
- speaks and understands English;
- no severe cognitive impairments;
- life expectancy of at least 6 mos;
- willingness to follow-up in Veterans Administration outpatient care.
Exclusion Criteria- Severe aphasia or cognitive impairment;
- active alcohol or substance abuse;
- cannot or unwilling to participate;
- does not speak or understand English;
- life expectancy less than 6 mos;
- no access to telephone;
- no Veterans Administration outpatient follow-up.