Inclusion Criteria- Clinical diagnosis of ischemic stroke for longer than 6 months
- Brain CT/MRI scan at initial diagnosis and at enrollment consistent with ischemic stroke
- No substantial improvement in neurologic or functional deficits for the 2 months prior to enrollment
- NIHSS score between 6-20
- Life expectancy greater than 12 months
- Prior to treatment patient received standard medical care for the secondary prevention of ischemic stroke
- Adequate organ function as defined by the following criteria:
Exclusion Criteria- History of uncontrolled seizure disorder
- History of cancer within the past 5 years.
- History of cerebral neoplasm
- Positive for hepatitis B, C or HIV
- Myocardial infarction withing six months of study entry
- Findings on baseline CT suggestive of subarachnoid or intracerebral hemorrhage within past 12 months.
- Allergies to Bovine or Porcine products