Inclusion Criteria- At least 21 years old
- Experience of a stroke 6 months prior to participation
- Residual paresis in the lower extremity (Fugl-Meyer lower-extremity motor score <34)
- Preferred overground gait speed between 0.2-1.0 m/s
- Ability to walk at self-selected speed for 3 minutes without a cane or walker
- Provision of informed consent.
Exclusion Criteria- Resting heart rate above 110 beats/min
- Resting blood pressure higher than 200/110 mm Hg
- History of congestive heart failure, unstable cardiac arrhythmias, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, severe aortic stenosis, angina or dyspnea at rest or during activities of daily living
- Preexisting neurological disorders or dementia
- History of major head trauma
- Legal blindness or severe visual impairment
- Life expectancy <1 yr; 8) History of DVT or pulmonary embolism within 6 months
- Uncontrolled diabetes with recent weight loss, diabetic coma, or frequent insulin reactions
- Orthopedic injuries or conditions (e.g. joint replacements) in the lower extremities with the potential to alter the gait pattern.