- The American Heart Association is a national voluntary health agency to help reduce disability and death from cardiovascular diseases and stroke.
- The American Stroke Association is solely focused on reducing disability and death from stroke.
- National Stroke Association
- Brain Attack Coalition – Acute Stroke Toolbox
Tools for health care professionals developing systems to enable the rapid diagnosis and treatment of acute stroke. Includes patient management guidelines and pathways.
- Research Center for Stroke and Heart Disease/ National Coalition for Stroke & Heart Disease Prevention
Many stroke resources for the health professional.
- Stroke Belt Consortium
Professional group working to increase awareness and education of stroke in the SE United States.
- North Carolina Stroke Association
Local chapter of the National Stroke Association.
- National Stroke Foundation
The National Stroke Foundation aims to increase awareness of “Brain Attack” at all levels within the community and, as a result, decrease the incidence of stroke in Australia.
- Brain Foundation, Victoria, Australia
Includes stroke information, personal stories, support groups in Australia.
- Australasian Stroke Trials Network
- Australasian Neuroscience Nurses Association
Many useful resources including event and conference listings, as well as Brainstem, an online monthly newsletter.
- Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada
- Canadian Stroke Network
A consortium of 145 researchers expert in basic and clinical sciences and in social sciences, epidemiology, health economics and policy, and rehabilitation who are dedicated to reducing the impact of stroke on the individual and society.
- Canadian Stroke Consortium
A neurologist network committed to the pursuit of anti-stroke therapies by designing and/or conducting research projects and clinical trials.
- European Stroke Initiative
Comprehensive site includes slide presentations on organizing stroke care, directory of support groups.
- Saudi Advisory Group Against Stroke (SAGAS)
Many useful resources for patients and professionals with information in both English and Arabic.
- American Academy of Neurology
- American Association of Neuroscience Nurses
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- American Neurological Association
- American Occupational Therapy Association
- American Occupational Therapy Foundation
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA)
- Association of Rehabilitation Nurses
- European Federation of Neurological Societies
- International Society of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism
- International Stroke Society
- National Aphasia Association
- National Emergency Medicine Association
- Society for NeuroAnesthesia and Critical Care
U.S. Government and State Agencies
- National Institutes of Health
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
- National Center for Medical Rehabilitation Research (NCMRR)
- National Eye Institute (NEI)
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
- National Institute of Aging
- National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD)
- National Institute of Nursing Research (NINR)
- National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD)
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK)
- National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS)
- National Library of Medicine
- Agency for Health Care Research and Quality (AHRQ)
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- National Center for Health Statistics
- Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services
- National Rehabilitation Information Center (NARIC)
- Stroke Quality Enhancement Research Initiative (Stroke QUERI)
Veterans Affairs Health Services Research and Development
- Centers for Disease Control
Cerebrovascular and Brain Metabolism Reviews
- Cerebrovascular Diseases
- Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism
- Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Disease
Neuroscience and Neurology Links
- Community of Science
Search this database to locate faculty at several hundred US universities.
- PubMed service of the National Library of Medicine
Free searches of entire Medline database.
Other Professional Stroke Links
- Medscape Neurology
Extensive, updated neurology content including full-text journals, news, conference reports. (Free registration required)
- N. Ireland Multidisciplinary Association for Stroke Teams (NIMAST)
Large site with extensive information for patients and professionals, including answers to frequently asked questions and reviews of current papers.